How can we improve your Grindr experience?

Anonymous STD Alerts

To prevent the spread of STDs, it would be great to have an option to anonymously notify Grindr hookups of changes in STD status. It could be as simple as an anonymous message saying that “Someone you have hooked up with in the past 3 months has tested positive for ___ (give a drop down box of choices).” Followed by a remind to get tested.

It is often uncomfortable or impossible to disclose a change in STD status. Therefore, this option would allow users to do it in away that makes them feel more comfortable.

The option should allow you to select the recipients of the message, including those profiles you have previously blocked. (We have all had a hookup that wasn’t so great and so we blocked them afterwards, thus preventing them/us from messaging each other.)

7,361 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RR shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

89 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • aaasssddddffff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it also would mean you have to put in a system to confirm you've hooked up with someone, otherwise how else would the app know what happened after your convo. you want there to be some sort of uber rating system to acknowledge that you actually hooked up? doesn't make sense. unless of course you think the chats are being monitored/read so theoretically they'd know when you meet up. but it is too far of a stretch

• W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea, but in practice I’m picturing guys who get mad bc someone won’t respond sending out “std alerts” to get attention. I’m picturing spam and bots sending “std alerts”. Then as a user, how do I know which std alert is legit?

Again, neat idea, but I think everyone should just rely on the good old fashioned get-tested-before-and-after-every-******-partner method. And remember, it’s completely okay to ask the other person to *show* you their results. Don’t be the victim of a liar!

• Hampto46 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, no ones going to touch this one with a ten foot pole. By doing this Grindr would have to actively track users that have messaged other users and they’re current status then fire messages back down the chain to anyone that this person has touched because grindr doesn’t know if you banged someone. At that point the DATING APP would also be managing information that would force it to be HIPPA complaint!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The amount of idiots complaining in the comments will feel differently if they are ever infected by someone who didn't share that they are positive.

It's both parties responsibility to protect themselves and others around them to help stop the spread of STDs. Anyone who has an STD and knowingly infects someone without their knowledge is a scumbag and deserves worse.

• crtxphan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Worst idea ever. I understand how it's meant. but it can't work. Anonymous partners notification for STD's for example in the uk works so that the std-clinic sends messages to the possible "partners", so it only happens when you have a 100% diagnosis. What about grindr? everybody can send std notification to others? just for fun? spreading chaos? it can't work

• Tilghman Lesher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems to be poorly thought out. How does Grindr know who you hooked up with, who was a no-show, who left without doing anything, etc.? If they recorded a hookup via user indication, that could be subpoenaed by unfriendly governments wishing to know who participated in *** acts... or if you unknowingly hooked up with an underage person...

• Stuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a ridiculous suggestion - It’s down to an individual to look after their own ****** health.

• Fernando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like... so are you supposed to click a box on the profile after you mess around and then they get pushed to a folder "Have had *** with" and then in that case, what if someone has only been with one person from Gindr.... will very easily be able to identify who sent the alert...

• CD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems to me that guys know how daring they get during ****** encounters and in turn should know the obvious risks. You catch something, tell someone, get tested (or not), and go right back to risky behaviors....

• JJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely sick. The Idea of denunce other men for having a STD is disgusting. Everybody who Support this should think about the consequences and what could go wriong with this. We never learn from History...

• Julius Mays commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, that wasn't on anyone but yourself. I have yet to catch an STD from anyone and I'm on Grindr hooking up all the time.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. Grindr is a very closed community where STDS are growing in numbers. I never caught an STD until hooking up in Grindr. Some users are spreading these around because they refuse to get tested.

• Julius Mays commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to say I don’t agree with this. It should be the responsibility of the infected party to tell those people that they have had a change in status. If the other person is promiscuous, then simply telling them one person was infected won’t help. Also, you being embarrassed about it is understandable but hiding behind a curtain (or app) is only gonna make it worse. Then it’ll be the responsibility of others to tell their partners heyve been infected.

• Joseph Klarr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this, I think allowing users to do so anonymously would reduce the stigma, help more people warn others of possible contraction, and help reduce the spread of certain diseases. I think this would lead to more testing and more knowledge of someone's status. And for those worried about it being abused- it would mostly encourage someone to GET TESTED, which is never a bad thing.

• Jay Cee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really think that should be your responsibility to tell people and choose partners more careful. Not the apps.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So what should I do if I caught an std and might have exposed someone to it and I’d like to remain anonymous, like our ***? Not tell them so he can spread it more?

I’m asking a serious question and an answer like “have the balls to tell them” will it help. I want to tell him as he messes around with others and has a partner. But I won’t unless it’s anonymous. So “have the balls” comment will only lead me to not saying anything which will in,y spread things and I don’t want to do that. It’s an easily curable one also.

• Darrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No comment other than... This idea is completely inappropriate for a non-medical app.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many people would abuse this feature just to scare the living daylights out of people in an act of revenge? I can’t think of a bigger boogeyman to gay men than being told they might have been exposed to STI’s/HIV. What happened to personal responsibility and accountability? Sorry fellas but if you’re too immature to have an open and honest discussion with your partner before getting in bed, you probably shouldn’t be having ***. Yes people lie but at the end of the day the only weapon you have is your own judgement. It’s not worth your life to not do so.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base