How can we improve your Grindr experience?

Anonymous STD Alerts

To prevent the spread of STDs, it would be great to have an option to anonymously notify Grindr hookups of changes in STD status. It could be as simple as an anonymous message saying that “Someone you have hooked up with in the past 3 months has tested positive for ___ (give a drop down box of choices).” Followed by a remind to get tested.

It is often uncomfortable or impossible to disclose a change in STD status. Therefore, this option would allow users to do it in away that makes them feel more comfortable.

The option should allow you to select the recipients of the message, including those profiles you have previously blocked. (We have all had a hookup that wasn’t so great and so we blocked them afterwards, thus preventing them/us from messaging each other.)

7,264 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RR shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

74 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joseph Klarr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this, I think allowing users to do so anonymously would reduce the stigma, help more people warn others of possible contraction, and help reduce the spread of certain diseases. I think this would lead to more testing and more knowledge of someone's status. And for those worried about it being abused- it would mostly encourage someone to GET TESTED, which is never a bad thing.

• Jay Cee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really think that should be your responsibility to tell people and choose partners more careful. Not the apps.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So what should I do if I caught an std and might have exposed someone to it and I’d like to remain anonymous, like our ***? Not tell them so he can spread it more?

I’m asking a serious question and an answer like “have the balls to tell them” will it help. I want to tell him as he messes around with others and has a partner. But I won’t unless it’s anonymous. So “have the balls” comment will only lead me to not saying anything which will in,y spread things and I don’t want to do that. It’s an easily curable one also.

• Darrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No comment other than... This idea is completely inappropriate for a non-medical app.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many people would abuse this feature just to scare the living daylights out of people in an act of revenge? I can’t think of a bigger boogeyman to gay men than being told they might have been exposed to STI’s/HIV. What happened to personal responsibility and accountability? Sorry fellas but if you’re too immature to have an open and honest discussion with your partner before getting in bed, you probably shouldn’t be having ***. Yes people lie but at the end of the day the only weapon you have is your own judgement. It’s not worth your life to not do so.

• Good Gravy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm pretty sure nobody, including Grindr, wants Grindr to start maintaining records of who hooked up with whom--especially when they have no way to know whether the information is even true.

• Fernando Maulion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discussing my HIV or STD status with someone i chose is my right, but grindr have no right to handle this information and send push notifications if something changes on this matter. THIS IS FUC...inG ANTI CONSTITUTIONAL AND VIOLATE THE PERSONAL INFORMATION PROTECTION LAWS, if you don't want to get a and STD, **** with a condom. end of the problem.

ARE YOU F:::ING NUTS?

• Jimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’m quite bitter about my life and I hate the all the buff jocks & hot twinks on grindr; they’d never look at me.

I can’t wait for this feature so that I can send them all anonymous messages and tell them I’ve probably given them HIV!!

I’m joking. But there ARE people who would do this.

This is a terrible terrible idea.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a total wtf for me. Make sure the TOP wears condoms even while you suck him off.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is pointless. It should not be built into grindr and there are already other services to do this.

• Petey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bad idea. If I was with someone who had a status change tha last thing I would EVER want is to be notified in an ap that I (and others) rarely check.

• anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely horrendous idea. Can be intentionally used to threaten people.

So this sounds like a great idea but it’s bound to be a **** show after the fact. Anonymous wont stay that way, people will abuse the alert just to ********* or slander anyone, and the original purpose of frequent testing and minimizing spread wont be achieved what so ever. Grindr isn’t even able to help stop the person using my pictures to run a glory hole - they can’t enforce prevention of in appropriate behavior and have terms to protect themselves and those with bad intentions. Grindr support doesn’t even send the auto reply message when I submit a serious matter. But they’ll sure take my money real quick!

Just based on reading profiles in my small area this is a horrible idea. Too many malicious and vindictive people. It would be misused, and thus, pointless. Not to mention the emotional trauma it’ll put someone through. Regular testing on your own is still the safest way.

As a public health nurse in Birmingham, this option could be misrepresented by malicious individuals causing unnecessary emotional upset.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base