How can we improve your Grindr experience?

Verify users

This would be to verify a user by one of a few means either they have to send their photo to you with their name on it or instead of utilizing emails as a verification use their mobile numbers similar to whatsap this will stop or minimize the amount of fake profiles as lately grindr has a huge number of pfs that are fake and guys just open a new one with another fake email address

11,221 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

177 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When it comes to verifying users there needs to be stricter checks on ages. I cant think right now on how that can be done for the moment but surely there must some ideas in place. The amount of times this week I have had to report underage profiles to grindr, yet still waiting for the report to be checked everytime I see their page and want to re report it still says the last report is still pending as a result.

We need this. It seems like Grindr is not even trying to address this problem. Since you already have moderators who approve photos, maybe use them to do this.

I’ve recently deleted Grindr due to all the bots and fakes. Something so simple that Kik has is that it tells you wether the picture you’ve been sent was taken live with the camera or not. Sure you might have favourite saved pictures you like to share but at least they can be compared to the live pictures. I’ll use Grindr again when this mess is cleaned up

• Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please introduce varify method ASAP cos it's fkn annoying to deal with fakes on a daily base.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about using machine learning to identify bots? Because I can spot them instantaneously: Their pics are distorted and pixelated, they have the same profile text, and use the same chat script over and over. If I can recognize it so easily, and if users consistently flag spam bots, it should straight-forward to train software to spot and flag spam accounts.

• pls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Grindr does not give a **** about the fake profiles and the ability to keep on making new ones with non existing emailadresses because probably they get more subscribers to grindr xtra. (People who are so annoyed that they want to unlimited block).

It gets worse and worse. Whenever i make a new profile I already know a few profiles i am blocking already before they even have a chance to talk to me. (Or send me their fake pictures they found on some tumblr 😑).

I once talked to 3 different guys and from all 3 of them they senr me the exact same (fake) dickpicture.

That's because Grindr simply doesn't care. A subpar "captcha" system, and the fact you don't need a valid e-mail speaks quite a bit, don't you think?

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be done ASAP!! The amount of fake/spam accounts on here has gotten out of control!!!

You should bmake sure that one has only one account, I've just received an insult message from anonymous person and he said that he has another 24 accounts I didn't even had time to report his account as he insulted me and blocked me !!

• T Reese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This way we stop being accused of impersonation after we've already verified with the Grindr mods

They should create this feature because there are too many profiles that are blank and most consider to be fake. Having to verify a photo would be the next step to eliminate fake profile and also from others using someone else’s photo.

Yeah I've noticed that people you block will sometimes still show up, so either their block system is STILL broken, or people are able to "delete" their account but then reclaim it to circumvent the block, or these people are making new profiles daily because you don't need a verified email address. You have major issues right in front of your face and solutions, why don't you do anything about this, Grindr? Also I've reported them and explained why, not to mention people looking to deal drugs and I still see them around. It's a complete joke.

• Dylan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Grindr would allow video profiles and short video clips to be uploaded it would curb all the fakes and photoshopped photo madness. It also would be easy to prove one is real.

Why this isn’t the number one priority I’ll never know! Grindr is such a joke. Fake profiles everywhere and you block profiles and they reappear. I’m sure more people would pay for Grindr Xtra if there was a way to verify profiles. It’s really something Grindr needs to instigate if they want to be taken seriously anymore. I know so many guys who have stopped using it because they are over fake profiles.

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well with employers now requiring people to sign a form stating they will not post negative messages on social media or get in trouble people like me have deactivated facebook, and have no desire to start a new one. my friends have my number they know how to text or call. i hate the ads and privacy invasions on fb and the like so no, not a good way. having a code date and color prompt to take a face picture for grindr to keep on file as a reference and someone compares the pics they send/post to verify the sender isn't Jeffery Dahmer or something. at the same time if the are acting criminal then grindr can show authorities their history as a show of support to the rest of us

• David Blue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Accounts need to be verified, the best way of verifying accounts is using a third party like Facebook login.

Faceless on the grid is a different issue but stopping fake accounts would remove a lot of that as well. Some apps however have options to filter profiles with photos only, hopefully facial recognition will start picking up only the ones with a face photo.

• Jay Cee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Biggest problem with this app. People have pictures up that they even admit, after wasting my time, that isn't them. A , 60 year old guy pretending to be my age? People getting away with phising for photos? You don't provide much with a paid subscription and the people keeping you in buisness should be your main concern. Subscription based profiles should also have specifial badge or something so they stick out from the rest.

It's getting worse too.

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I almost agree. but ake it before someone contacts me he has to send a face picture. some guys are DL, fine... but if they want to make contact with me because they are attracted to the face picture i have posted, then have the guts to show me who u are and not hide and wait for me to ask for it. u chose to contact me, i show my face and shouldnt have to ask for u to show me who u are. if ur that chicken then stay in the coop and leave the adult, self confident among us along or grow a set and a backbone to show urself to who u want to send a message.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base