How can we improve your Grindr experience?

Ability to block people above your preferred age from messaging you

Messages from older guys can get very creepy and is usually unwanted and I want to be able to block anyone out of my preferred age range from messaging me

1,235 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

53 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael Archer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lol, messages from twinks who think that you're going to pay them for *** because you're older is even creepier and is always unwanted, but I put up with it because I have met young guys who are into older, experienced, well-built handsome guys. What is needed is a "whiner" blocker from little punks who are too lazy to manage their messages.

• Michael Archer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lol, messages from twinks who think that you're going to pay them for *** because you're older is even creepier and is always unwanted, but I put up with it because I have met young guys who are into older, experienced, well-built handsome guys. What is needed is a "whiner" blocker from little punks who are too lazy to manage their messages.

• Tilghman Lesher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a nice idea, but many people don't login at all. Even if they were forced to do so, making up a new email address is easy, too.

We're not going to fix what is a people problem with a technological solution.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The answer to this is spiffingly cool.

1) Make it compulsory to put in your age and your age range.

2) Fix Grindr so that everyone outside of your age range (can be or) is automatically blocked from those whose age range they fall outside of.

This will ensure that when anyone logs on EVERYONE on their page is both within their age range and vice versa..

Hows abouts that then.

• Steele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I feel the option should be there if people want it, I have met up with a lot of younger guys who say I am WAY above their usual age range but I'm hot so it doesn't matter.

What a lot of guys assume is AGE+ = not attractive/creepy. When in reality age usually isn't the issue, it's the being messaged by people they find unattractive.

I don't like the block idea because many youngers will often step out of their age range to experiment. I got it on Gaydar a lot, teenagers whose age range fell twenty years below mine feeling kinky *****.

Far better to have a compulsory field of age range to fill in then we can all be flexible yet know the other person limit.

Gotta admit though that many off us oldies are creepy and can suddenly "turn" like if you are young a conversation that starts with "You're cute" can turn rather suddenly to "You've got a lot to learn."

I don't like the block idea because many youngers will often step out of their age range to experiment. I got it on Gaydar a lot, teenagers whose age range fell twenty years below mine feeling kinky *****.

Far better to have a compulsory field of age range to fill in then we can all be flexible yet know the other person limit.

Gotta admit though that many off us oldies are creepy and can suddenly "turn" like if you are young a conversation that starts with "You're cute" can turn rather suddenly to "You've got a lot to learn."

Forgot to mention I actually only look for guys my age or older but when I filter it's full of guys my age who only want young twinks or only want tops etc so I waste my time being rejected...

This is kinda what I have said as well, if a user is younger and only interested in for example upto 40 only then they won't show up if I do a filter for younger as I'm too old for them. Saves being rejected or a screen full of guys I have said I like but actually wont like me

• Brian Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I'm 22 looking for 19-24 I shouldn't have to get random d pics or awkward messages from 40+ sorry not everyone's thing we all got types and everyons preference should be considered it's not just ageism that's stupid to say that's ignorant or selfish or give hate back.

• Brian Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got your back 150% percent I'm tired of having to waste space in bio to say sorry not into older... And yet the train of messages ensue.smh.

This is not a good solution.

I have had long-term, mutually wanted friendships and relationships with guys of all ages, including some much older than me, and some much younger than me. I try to get along with everyone and be a good neighbor and good friend. I try to be supportive of everyone.

We need to focus on good behavior in general, not a discriminatory feature like age blocking. I think that if someone is nasty to you, whatever their age, you should be able to get Grindr to ban them.

We are all in the same village, the same community. People of every age can be supportive of each other and kind to each other. That makes us stronger as a community.

• Rudy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's just as creepy to have you young punks threaten and insult older guys!

• pls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This wont work. They will abuse it by entering an incorrect birthdate.

I agree. It is not like i am not blocking them anyway. The same ones that keep on trying even though i said no 7272 times and blocked them everytime are the most creepy.

I prefer not wasting their time by them just not seeing my profile. I truly think that is nicer than to turn them down everytime and them keep on trying wirh everyone.

For them the app will probably be a lot more boring so they probably will lie about their birthdate.

This is discrimination why always gay people discriminate themselves about skin colour age serology etc? This is not appropriate!

Who says that the 25-35 year old gets to determine of the other gets messaged. Who says you get to violate the rule.

Just as much as I would like to block all the kids who think because your a daddy you should be generous.

• Semmy Stumpp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A field to add your preferred age range would actually help as a start, but blocking people out might be the better option - even... you might miss out on some amazing people - because people look really different as what you often expect what is said in their passport.

By the way: It also works the other way around.

As if just "older guys" are the creepy ones!

Any "unwanted age" can be annoying if you do not communicate it.

The only way right now to add it is in the regular dating profile field.

Did you add your preferred age there? I encounter too many who write "I already have a daddy and grandfather, thank you." - nobody knows what that means. I would be helpful if people start writing more often "nobody over 25" or "between 18-25 only" if you that is your preferred age range

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base